Saturday, August 18, 2007

In the Maldives

Touchdown in the Maldives on Wednesday the 15th evening at around midnight Maldivian time. The airport is an island on its own and waiting to greet me were Scubazoo crew Owen and Samantha. Already there was a luxury speedboat waiting to take us to the resort - the kind that they use to ferry actual guests. The water surrounding the airport was already crystal clear with fish swimming around doing what they do. Was a shame that the flight wasn't in the daytime. No doubt the arial view would have been spectacular and worthy of some airborne shots from the plane. Nevertheless, the landscape, even at night, is quite amazing. No signs of hilltops anywhere on the horizon. It's said that the highest point in Maldivian territory is only 5 metres above sea level.

As soon as we reached the resort, I unloaded my dive gear at the office and headed straight for the house that I am now living in, which is another island just a stone's throw away from the resort island.....literally! There's a shallow channel that separates the two islets with only about 30m of water between them. The island that we live on is called Buda Huraa and is where most of the male resort staff live, and is a whole community in itself with shops, a school, mosque, restaurants and other things. Only thing is that NO alcohol is allowed on the island.

After a good night's sleep, I headed over to the resort to get all the formalities sorted and was given uniforms. That afternoon, Sam and I went for a dive at Lankan - a cleaning station for Mantas where I've been told, up to 30 mantas can be seen at a time visiting the little rock that they station themselves on to be cleaned by cleaner fish everyday. Saw my first 2 Maldivian mantas on that dive and was blown away by how close they come to the divers. Keeping the camera viewfinder to my mask was a little difficult because I was so in awe of them that I felt like just sitting back and enjoying the view. It wasn't exactly in the same abundance that I've been told, but still a jawdropping experience nonetheless.

Still getting settled in and I'm sure in a couple weeks, I'll get into the swing of things. Still a little paranoid of protocol we must take note of since we ARE in a 6 star resort. So I'm just taking a back seat and making sure I'm observing what's the resort's way of interaction. Some of the vocabulary that's used in the resort takes a little of getting used to. For example, when asking about laundry, one of the laundry staff says to me, "let me have your soiled uniform". I don't think I've ever heard of anyone using the word "Soiled" for laundry. Everyone I know says "Dirty Laundry". I guess soiled is a more 'professional' term for dirty. Little things like that was kinda bizarre for me. But I guess, it wouldn't be 6 star service if they just said "Give me your dirty jocks!"

The staff cafe is not bad either. There's a smoking area and non-smoking area for the resort staff. Indoor or outdoor. Hot or cold meals. Coffee or tea. Juice or water. Soy sauce or Tabasco. Mains and dessert. Self service of course with a buffet style selection of curries, plain or briyani rice, vegetables, pastas, cakes and custards. Pretty impressive considering its a staff cafe. Twice a week, we're allowed to have meals at the resort restaurant, where on Friday, we had a delicious seafood buffet with unlimited salmon/tuna sashimi, lobster/vegetable tempura, sushi, desserts, etc. Of course I gorged myself on the desserts more than the seafood. All in all, a very nice meal with 6 star service.

Overall, I'm very impressed. Of course, I say this with all the enthusiasm in the world, but who knows...one can get bored after some time. But at the moment, things are super. Will take some photos around the resort to share when I have the time.

4 comments:

chiiiiing said...

but "soiled uniform" makes it sound like you soiled your uniform... with like... shit and stuff. your own shit. eww.

miss you tons. your motorhead bro cleaned the house yesterday and he is sneezing like mad.

your new place sounds awesome! we will celebrate and drink on your behalf here. :p

pics!

Anonymous said...

yea, sound like you pooed and peed yourself wei..

and you know what..everyday i hate you more and more...

ps: I dont think fresh sashimi will fatten you up..all the more shame!

mocha said...

sounds like a perfect place to be... hehe.... saw cameron diaz on her trip there?? ahaha... any other celebs so far?
take care bro...cheers....

Anonymous said...

more pics please!!! :)